Homeopathy is gaining worldwide recognition as a natural and powerful way to slow down hair loss.
Homeopathic and natural remedies for hair restoration do not simply tackle the symptoms of hair loss, but they treat the deficiencies that are at the root of the issue, providing the body with the tools required for the immune system to restore and heal itself, creating a long-term solution without the undesirable side effects that can result from allopathic medicine.
One of the best advantages of homeopathic treatment is the prevention of further loss generally within 4-6 months of beginning the treatment.
On the use of Homeopathy for hair loss:
“We find the root cause and treat that, since hair loss could just be a symptom and we need to treat the ailment permanently. Allopathic medicines just give you a quick fix, and do not treat the root cause, while we give a more long term, complete solution.”
– Dr Batra: Managing Director and Chairman of Dr Batra’s Homeopathic Clinic.
Before you read on, it is important that, if you consider any homeopathic treatments for hair loss, you consult your doctor before using a new homeopathic remedy, particularly if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
IMPORTANT: Discover if homeopathic remedies and other natural methods will work for you type of hair loss by taking the 6 part quiz found at the bottom of this article.
Silica is the third most plentiful trace element in the human body and it is has been detected in 1–10 parts per million in hair cells. The element of silica plays an integral role in the on-going process of collagen synthesis.
Collagen is a substance that is required for the creation of healthy connective tissues in skin and hair follicles.
Silica delivers the following benefits for hair:
- Helps the synthesis of collagen and elastin fibers to regenerate damaged hair.
- Reinforces the entanglement of the structural hair proteins, thus improving the strength and structure of hair.
- Delivers nourishment to the scalp to defend against dryness.
Silica has been proven to be effective in stimulating hair growth in both concentrated liquid and supplement form. There are a wide variety of silica-based hair restoration products available on the market.
Florasil® is an organic, plant-based silica supplement derived from spring horsetail. It is the only botanical silica supplement that is joined with bioflavonoids, which accelerates the absorption of silica through the intestines where it is absorbed into the bloodstream.
This product uses a water-extraction method, rather than a chemical extraction, ensuring that the bioflavonoids are preserved, in order to yield an easily digestible silicate known as orthosilicic acid. In clinical trials silicic acid has been shown to improve the condition of the hair, nails and skin.
This gentler extraction method preserves the bioflavonoids required for proper silica absorption, but it also maintains a variety of advantageous minerals including iron, potassium, magnesium (magnesium oil has been shown to boost hair growth), calcium, boron, manganese and phosphorus.
Original Silicea Balsam
Original Silicea Balsam is a product that is recommended for oral use for those suffering from hair loss.
Original Silicea Gel provides silicic acid molecules (a compound of silicon, oxygen, and water) in colloidal suspension in a micro dispersed form. The small particle size allows the silicic acid molecules to pass easily into the blood stream where it can be directly transported to the connective tissue.
This product has been shown to be effective in halting the hair loss process and encouraging re-growth.
Burdock Root Oil
Burdock Root, scientifically referred to as Arctium Lappa, is known to have essential medicinal value that is useful for a host of ailments including the reduction and reversal of hair loss. When applied topically to the scalp Burdock Root Oil has shown to prevent hair loss and facilitate new hair growth.
A recent study has shown that the anti-oxidative effects of Burdock Root could assist in the treatment of Alopecia.
Burdock Root Oil provides the following benefits to hair:
- It supplies natural phytosterols, mucilage, tannins, inulin, vitamin A and important essential fatty acids to hair roots.
- It relieves scalp irritations and improves blood circulation to the hair follicle.
Sepia Officinalis is a homeopathic medicine derived from the ink expulsion of cuttle fish. It is recommended for treating the hair loss experienced by women whose constitution has been weakened after childbirth, or women who are experiencing the matting of the hair and hair loss that can occur with hormonal changes during menopause.
In homeopathy Sepia Officinalis is often prescribed to menopausal women with a history of recurring headaches, irritability, hot flushes followed by chills and perspiration and pains in the uterus along with their symptoms of hair loss.
Sepia Officinalis delivers the following benefits, which contribute towards improved hair condition:
- Helps to restore the hormonal balance that can contribute to hair loss.
- Soothes disturbances of the autonomic nervous system and metabolism.
- Improves blood circulation.
Lycopodium Clavatum is obtained by distilling and potentiating spores of evergreen plants such as staghorn moss. It has been widely prescribed by homeopaths to treat a variety of people suffering from conditions of premature hair loss, from men with male pattern baldness, to pregnant and post-delivery women who experience hair loss due to carrying children.
Without the right nutrition you'll be fighting a losing battle. Get my 1-week Meal PlanPDF sent to your email inbox, so you know what meals to eat for optimal hair protection & regrowth.
Just enter your email address below and click "Sign Up & Get PDF" and I'll send you the PDF right away so you can continue reading this article.
Join our new Facebook Group where our community talk about the best natural hair loss treatments that are working for us right now. Click below!
In homeopathy Lycopodium is given to patients who also suffer gastric trouble complaints such as flatulence, constipation or liver problems along with baldness. The patients that are best indicated to a prescription of Lycopodium Clavatum are those who tend to have cravings for hot food and hot drinks along with sweet things.
Fluoricum Acidum, or fluoric acid, is a deep acting homeopathic medicine widely prescribed for hair loss in clumps, particularly for people who suffer also with a hot temperament, or people who are elderly and who experience weakness in the body and the extremities. It has antipsoric, antisyphilitic and antipsychotic properties.
Cases of Alopecia Areata occurring as a result of typhoid fever have also been successfully treated with Fluoricium Acidum.
Phosphorus has also been used successfully in treating cases of Alopecia Areata, where bald spots appear on the head, hair falls out in bunches and the scalp is dry and scaly. In homeopathy it is generally prescribed for increasing the strength of the hair in individuals who experience patches of hair loss on the scalp along with unusual craving for salty foods and cold drinks.
Scalptone by SBL
Scalptone is a combination of homeopathic remedies that has been proven effective for the treatment of all types of hair problems including dryness, thinning, sensitivity and hair loss. It contains the following homeopathic remedies:
Acidum Fluoricum to increase strength in constitution and restore hair growth.
Acidum Phosphoricum to increase the strength and condition of the hair and prevent dryness of the scalp.
Natrum Muriaticum to strengthen the hair follicles and ease a sensitive scalp.
Arsenicum Album to relieve dryness and itching of the scalp.
Calcarea Phosphorica to provide nutrition to increase strength in the roots of hair.
Badiaga to reduce hair loss, scalp sensitivity and dandruff.
Curry Leaves and Coconut Tonic
With two highly active ingredients, this Indian recipe is renowned for strengthening the hair and nourishing the scalp.
Curry leaves are rich in nutrients, amino acids, minerals (iron and phosphorous) and vitamins C and B6 and provide the following benefits:
- High iron content carries oxygen-rich blood to the scalp. Iron deficiency and low ferritin levels can be a primary contributor to hair loss, as when iron levels in the body are low blood is directed away from the skin towards the internal organs.
- Amino acids provide protein, which strengthens hair follicles.
- Antioxidants and vitamin C provide moisture to the scalp and help to repair damaged hair follicles and improve hair’s tolerance to damage.
- A high content of vitamin B6 helps to regulate hormones and has been used successfully in treatments of Alopecia.
Coconut oil contains many compounds and nutrients that are also beneficial for hair growth:
- Lauric acid is able to penetrate the hair shaft because it has a low molecular weight. It attaches to the protein inside, which strengthens the roots and assists the strands in withstanding breakage.
- The natural antioxidants and nutrients (vitamin E (tocopherols increased hair count by 34% after 8 months supplementation), vitamin K and iron) found in coconut oil boost hair growth.
- Coconut oil imitates sebum; the oil that is produced naturally in the skin, which protects the scalp from dryness and coats the roots of the hair, protecting them from damage.
Take a handful of fresh curry leaves and a cup of coconut oil. Grind the leaves in a pestle and mortar and heat them together in a pan with the oil until a black paste is formed.
Apply the cooled paste to your scalp and massage it in for 15-20 minutes before washing your hair. The act of massaging the scalp increases blood circulation to the scalp and follicles, assisting the hair follicles with the absorption of the spectrum of nutrients in the paste.
Use this procedure twice a week.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Cayenne Pepper
Apple cider vinegar has long been used as a hair care agent. It may seem counter-intuitive to treat hair with something as acidic as vinegar, however the benefits of apple cider vinegar, particularly when it is combined with cayenne pepper for restoring lost hair and improving hair condition are numerous:
- Shampooing has a tendency to alkalize the hair. Apple cider vinegar’s PH factor of 4 restores hair to its natural PH (between 3.5 – 5.5), helping to maintain the hair’s protective layer.
- Antifungal and antibacterial properties kill germs effectively helping to eliminate itchiness.
- Removes product build up, chemicals and dirt, which suffocate the scalp and impair hair growth.
- Delivers a variety of nutrients essential for hair growth, such as potassium, which smoothes and hydrates skin and hair.
- Seals hair cuticles to improve shine and reduce the incidence of split ends.
- Increases the strength of each hair shaft, making it less prone to breakage.
The ingredient Cayenne pepper not only helps to catalyze the process as it enhances blood circulation to scalp, which improves the delivery of the active ingredients in the apple cider vinegar, but in itself offers the following benefits:
- Capsaicin contains a phenolic compound, which increases the metabolic process within the cells, creating increased blood flow, allowing hair follicles to receive maximum nutrition and oxygen, which in turn improves hair growth.
- Vitamin A regenerates damaged cells.
- Vitamin B6 has hormone-regulating properties, which reactivates hair growth.
- Potassium hydrates and soothes skin and hair.
- Magnesium strengthens blood vessels.
- Iron delivers oxygen to the cells.
- Folic Acid (Folate) expedites the process of cell division, contributing to natural, faster growth.
- Niacin (B3) creates energy from carbohydrate and helps to reinforce the structure of the blood cells and improve the amount of blood circulation to the scalp area.
- Thiamine (B1) is essential for creating proteins such as keratin, which is a primary protein used in the manufacture of hair.
Mix 1 part of apple cider vinegar with 2 parts water and ½ a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Optional: Add a few drops of citrus essential oil to mask the scent of the vinegar.
After shampooing and conditioning apply the vinegar mixture to the roots of the hair. Leave for 10 minutes before rinsing. When improvements occur, reduce frequency of use to 1-2 times per month.